Here’s how an employment lawyer in NJ can help!

      Comments Off on Here’s how an employment lawyer in NJ can help!

Workplace discrimination, wrongful termination, denial of rights – These are all too common in New Jersey. When facing such circumstances, employees often wonder about their rights and what they can legally go avoid unwanted consequences. If you were fired for a flimsy reason, treated wrongly because you are a whistleblower, or have faced sexual harassment at work, your immediate concern should be about legal assistance. Talking to an experienced employment lawyer in Trenton can help in understanding the options available. More importantly, a lawyer can help in protecting your rights.

Protecting your rights!

For the unversed, New Jersey is an employment “at-will” state. What does this mean? This means that your employer can actually fire you from work at will, even when the reason seems flimsy. In other words, you may not be able to take any action, unless there has been a breach of contract, or there was clear discrimination based on age, race, gender, religion, pregnancy, or sexual orientation. Also, your employer can be held liable for retaliatory firing. Expectedly, these laws can be confusing, which is why you need to talk to an attorney. Your employment lawyer can guide you on whether you have a case in the first place. 

For reviewing job contracts

You don’t merely need an employment lawyer when you run into trouble with your employer. It is wise to consult one when you are taking up a new job. Attorneys know every aspect of employment law, and they can tell you if your contract is fair and in sync with state and federal laws. This is a great way of ensuring that you don’t sign up for terms and conditions, which can encroach on your rights and interests. 

For filing a discrimination claim

In New Jersey, you can file a discrimination claim with Division on Civil Rights (DCR) or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The latter is a federal agency, and both cooperate with one another to process discrimination claims. To understand how the case may shape up, and to get help for the paperwork and processes, you have to hire an attorney. If you have been fired wrongfully, or deserve wages or pay that your employer has not paid, your employment lawyer can file a lawsuit, where circumstances and laws allow. 

Before you take any action against your employer or decide to file a discrimination claim, talk to an employment lawyer and get their opinion.